Today is my 30th birthday! I’ve reached a big year, a transitional year in a woman’s life. I am not old, but I am no longer in my twenties. After reflecting the past few weeks leading up to today, I realize I have taken this much differently than I thought I would. I thought I would feel sad and possibly old. But on the contrary, I feel empowered, liberated and ready to take on a new era in my life. Good riddance twenties, a new, improved and assertive Natalie is here and ready to rule!
When I was in my early twenties, I had imagined what I would have accomplished, or been by the age of 30. I really thought that was SO far away and SO old. I’ve accomplished less in some areas, and way more in others. The biggest thing I have accomplished is feeling content with myself. I am learning to be happy with who I am and who I am trying to be. My younger years were filled with doubt, and a gross lack of self-confidence, and I am glad that I am moving forward and trying appreciating myself.
I feel as though 30 years is a great time to go back and reflect on lessons that I have learned personally and by observation. So without further ado, here is my list of thirty things I have learned in 30 years. In no particular order.
- No is a good enough answer
- Always wash your face before bed
- Learn to love people how they NEED to be loved, not how you THINK they need to be loved
- Smiling gets you further
- Stay out of people’s business
- Always be kind to the cleaning crew
- Money does not buy happiness
- Give yourself a break every once in a while
- Spanx are a girls best friend
- Sleep is way better than any night of drinking
- You cannot lose 10 lbs in one week
- Your mind can totally make pain (physical and emotional) way worse than it really is
- Good help is hard to find
- Cauliflower is not an acceptable carb substitute
- Try to travel as much as you can, while you still can
- The best thing to do after a breakup is push yourself mentally and physically.
- Just because zips, doesn’t mean it fits
- A small compliment can make someones day. Spread that kindness!
- What you believe about yourself is ultimately true
- Love your friends as they are, forgive the tiny things that make you mad
- I will never be a blonde
- Kale is actually delicious
- Eventually we all turn into our parents, and that is okay
- Short hair, don’t care 🙂
- Learn to be alone with your thoughts. Truly deal with whatever is going on in your mind
- Invest in your health, not only physical, but also mental
- It is never too late to follow your dreams, do not listen to the doubters, FOLLOW THOSE DREAMS
- Nothing is a failure, EVERYTHING is a learning lesson
- Do not be intimidated by someone who is ‘better’ at something than you are. They were once a rookie too
- Always be curious, never ever stop learning
Those were 30 lessons I have learned in my 30 years of life. Though some may seem silly and simple, they have defined certain eras in my life. I cannot wait to see what I learn as I continue to grow and hopefully enter different amazing and challenging years in my life!
Cheers to the next 30 years!